subscribe to stafftax
renew stafftax subscription
“We have been extremely pleased with the service you have given us over the years and consider it to have been excellent value for money.”
Mrs C A – Whitchurch
Employing European nationals PDF Print E-mail

Most nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA) can enter and work in the UK without restrictions. You will need to ask nationals from all EEA countries to produce a document showing their nationality. Please refer to List A to see which documents will provide you with a defense if checked and copied.

The following is a list of EEA countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK, Switzerland.

The Government has set up a Workers Registration Scheme to monitor the participation in the UK labour market of workers from the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia. Please contact the Home Office for more information.

If you employ a Bulgarian or Romanian national you must adhere to certain regulations:

  • You must advertise the position
  • You must apply for a work permit on their behalf (free of charge)
  • The candidate must fill in a BR3 form, which validates the work permit (if the application is successful)

Please note that the work permit application may not be successful if the Home Office considers that a UK national can competently do the type of work you are offering.

Once you have established the person has a right to work you will need to make sure that they register with the Home Office. For them to be able to do this you must provide them with evidence of the employment (a contract or a letter).

You must then take a copy of the completed application for registration before it is sent to the Home Office. You must keep this copy until you receive notification from the Home Office that the worker has been registered successfully.

The Home office will send to you a copy of the registration certificate and you must retain this copy.


employment guide

Redundancy pay explained

Domestic employees also qualify for redundancy pay, providing they have been in continuous employment for at least two years.


employment costs

Wealth warning

Domestic employment is probably the only profession left in the UK where wages are still commonly agreed on the basis of net (i.e. take-home) pay. But there are considerable financial implications at stake for both employer and employee.